A recent post from The Verge, managed to surface one jaw-dropping perspective:
By positioning themselves as the platforms on top of which information technology across every sector now runs, these titans of tech become the new centers of gravity for our economy, growing in size, scope, and influence while everyone else struggles not to fall too far behind.
These tech titans include the likes of Amazon, Apple, Alphabet, Facebook. The article highlights some compelling stats with respect to the unprecedented growth of these seemingly indomitable giants.
Does this blatant top dog landscape sit well with you?
For our June 2017 segment of #smchat Trends, let’s take a few moments to satisfy our curiosity by exploring this phenomenon and its implications:
- Q1 In a best case scenario, what good would tech monopolies do?
- Q2 What type of tech poses the most threateningly disruptive impact?
- Q3 Despite protest we continue to consume the fruits of these titans. What exactly are we compromising (if any)?
- Q4 Can open source efforts like blockchain help democratize tech the way it was meant to be?
- Q5 Are you concerned by tech dominance at all? How so?
Join me on Twitter, Wed June 7 2017 at 1 pm EST for #smchat’s usual hour-long #powerchat
- This Blockchain Startup Wants to End Corporate Dominance of the Internet